Are you ready to venture into the world of mug printing but feeling overwhelmed by the complexities? Printing on mugs is a far cry from t-shirts or fabrics, and traditional methods will leave you frustrated and empty-handed. To excel in this creative endeavor, using sublimation paper compatible with mugs is non-negotiable.
Sublimation, heat, and a pressure-based dyeing process are critical when working with mugs. The sublimation paper is indispensable, bridging the gap between your printer and the mug’s surface to ensure flawless design transfer. With the sublimation paper market booming, you’re bombarded with choices, making it difficult to determine the best fit for your projects. Don’t let the options overwhelm you! We’ve dedicated countless hours to researching and testing, compiling a list of the best sublimation paper for mugs. Furthermore, our comprehensive buying guide will empower you with the knowledge necessary to navigate this crowded market.
Top 7 Best Sublimation Paper for Mugs
Given are our 7 top picks for best sublimation paper for mugs. Each product is specified by area of expertise and unique features you will be looking for when buying a printer.
Let’s review each printer without further ado.
1. A Sub-Sublimation Paper: Editor’s Choice
The A-Sub sublimation paper stands out as a market leader and my favorite, boasting unmatched qualities like exceptional sharpness as the winner. This rapidly growing brand consistently delivers on its promises, winning customers’ trust. The printer can be used with any printer inkjet printer convert for sublimation.
The paper comes in various sizes from which you can choose per your needs. I have used the sheet size 8.5X11 with a wide range of apparel and find it ideal for mugs.
I couldn’t ignore the extra sharpness the paper delivers in its prints. The results are vivid, clear, and extra sharp as the paper is intently created for that purpose. Additionally, its super-fast drying gives prints incredible print quality and consistent performance.
Furthermore, the thickness of 125 g makes it extra resistant to stress and enables it to hold relatively high temperatures. With the paper thickness and fast drying, the paper uses less ink compared to any other heat transfer paper. The paper has flat edges, enhancing the print quality and making the transferring process effortless and smooth.
- No fracturing: Ensures a smooth, professional finish for your designs.
- Fast dry: Reduces wait time, allowing for quicker project completion.
- High transfer rate (≥98%): Maximizes color vibrancy and image clarity.
- Versatile application: Suitable for white or light-colored polyester, mixed fabric (≤30% cotton), premium ceramic & tile, phone cases, and metal plates.
- Optimal sheet size: 8.5″ x 11″, with 110 sheets per pack, providing ample material for various projects.
- Sublimation ink compatibility: Designed specifically for use with sublimation ink for best results.
- Extra thickness
- Sharp print quality
- Super fast drying
- Less consumption of ink
- Sligtly expensive
The paper is the best choice with its print quality and features that any person wishes to see in print. The elements combine perfectly to give you professional-quality prints. Its extra sharpness and paper thickness provide you with the intended results.
2. Mecolour Sublimation Paper: Best for Epson
With ultrafast 30 seconds drying time and ease of use, Mecolour sublimation paper imprints accurate and sharp prints, especially with Epson printers. We have found it most suitable with light-color surfaces. The soft color surface further enhances the prints and gives your light color mug an excellent look.
This paper can also be used for polyester, cotton, tumbler, and mugs. Furthermore, it also works with known brands of sublimation printers. With such vast application and compatibility, the paper can effectively transfer prints on various materials.
To add more, Mecolor Sublimation Paper is waterproof and provides the fastest drying. It further enhances the transfer rate giving your prints fine images and sharp text.
When considering the quality of prints, you will surely appreciate the output. The transferred images are clear and vibrant, and you will notice the liveliness in your prints. Sometimes the images come out dull on paper, but it is not a matter of worry. Transferring the prints to the substrate will make the colors appear clear, bright, and vivid.
- Compatible with various inkjet printers ensuring flexibility and convenience.
- Easy-to-identify printing side for easy distinction.
- Premium quality: Boasts ultrafast 30-second drying time, industry-leading ≥98% transfer rate, deep and vibrant colors, and excellent printing details for long-lasting, high-quality images.
- Wide printer compatibility with various printers and sublimation ink.
- Diverse applications as the prints can be transferred onto a variety of materials.
- Quality output
- Effortless printing
- A bit thin for some printers
The Mecolour sublimation paper is an excellent choice for printing mugs, offering the best compatibility with major brands, with Epson as the best choice. Its print quality is as vibrant and clear as anyone wishes and waterproof.
3. Seogol Sublimation Paper: Best for Dark Surface
Rendering the best output on dark surfaces, the Seogol Sublimation Paper has a white and pink side for easy distinction. Just to let you know, the smooth pinkish side is the back side, whether one is the one for print. If you use it for the first time, you will likely get confused like me, but it is easy to identify with further use.
Refer to our guide to learn to put sublimation paper in the printer to tackle the problem easily.
To start with, Seogol Sublimation Paper is ideal for darker surfaces, and we have observed the same during our testing. Its compatibility with dark material makes it stand out from the papers in the market explicitly labeled for sublimation. Furthermore, it has broader applicability as it can be used for but is not limited to mugs, caps, phone cases, mouse pads, non-cotton pillows or light fabrics, bags, t-shirts, etc.
When considering compatibility, it is suitable and recommended For brands such as Epson, Ricoh, and Sawgrass Inkjet Printers with sublimation ink.
The paper thickness and quality print caught our attention immediately. With more thickness than any other paper on the market, it transfers excellent prints on the surface. Furthermore, the prints are flawless and waterproof, with no cracks, smudges, or fade.
- High quality: Over 98% ultra-high transfer rate, less ink consumption, and immediate drying for beautiful, long-lasting colors without fading or cracking.
- Cost-saving: Reduced production costs due to efficient ink usage, providing more value for your money.
- Compatible printers & ink: Works with dye sublimation ink and various printer brands with piezo print heads.
- Wide applications: Ideal to help you unleash your creativity on various surfaces.
- Easy to use with distinct sides.
- High compatibility and applicability
- Thick paper
- Waterproof paper
- Edges curl when not fed properly
With high compatibility and applicability, the Seogol sublimation paper allows more comprehensive options, including dark surfaces. You can rely on the paper for your professional-level tasks. The thick quality and waterproof paper will give you incomparable results with great ease.
4. Hiipo Sublimation Paper: Best For Epson 2720
The Hippo sublimation paper is widely known for mug printing with Epson 2720. With its ease of use and high transfer rate, the paper is ideal for eye-catching prints, especially on mugs.
The thing I first noticed about the Hippo sublimation paper is the paper’s ease of use. It has distinct sides, one plain coated for print and the other slightly grey, considered the backside. That way, it saves you from confusion about what side to use for printing. This characteristic makes it super easy to use for beginners and professionals in the sublimation business.
The paper is thick enough and does not rip off with the bending involved while printing on mugs. I recommend using Hippo sublimation ink with the paper; you will get two times better results. With the Hippo ink, the ink goes off by 90 percent and leaves your prints beautiful and vibrant, just like they should.
- Hiipoo sublimation paper dries instantly upon printing, with over 98% ultra-high transfer rate for true colors, precision, and ink savings.
- No gear prints & smooth printing: 120g Hiipoo paper offers good elasticity and thickness.
- Easy to use: Print using an inkjet printer with sublimation ink, adjust heat press settings, and peel the transfer paper after heating to complete the transfer within minutes.
- Wide applicability: Ideal for transferring text and images onto various surfaces.
- Distinct sides
- Easy to use
- Flat edges
- High transfer rate
- Only compatible with Epson printer
With a trusted brand name such as Hippo, I would say it is the best choice, and its features speak for themselves. You will get excellent output with a clear print side, flat edges, and thick paper. It’s your best option if you have an Epson 2720 printer.
Refer to our top picks for Best Sublimation Paper for Epson 2720 to explore further options.
5. Hemudu Tale Sublimation Paper: Best for Sawgrass
If you are looking for a sublimation paper for your Sawgrass sublimation printer, then Hemudu Tale is the best choice. The sublimation page yields high-quality prints that can effectively be transferred to any material without fade or cracks.
I have used paper for printing on a wide range of accessories as it has various sizes to match specific needs. Along with mug printing, I also consider it ideal for t-shirts.
Now speaking of its features, its 126 GSM thickness stands out in properties vital for sublimation. Its high wrap degree and thickness keep the prints consistent throughout the heat transfer process. You can expect a fine-tuned, wrinkles-free print output from the printer.
Its transfer rate is also great, even if you use it for business purposes. And as we said, budget-friendly, it is inexpensive, and to your satisfaction, it uses less ink.
- Achieve over 98% transfer rate with vibrant colors while reducing production costs and ink consumption for significant savings.
- Versatile applications: Suitable for a wide range of surfaces.
- Inkjet printer compatibility: Designed exclusively for inkjet printers, ensuring optimal results with sublimation ink.
- Ample supply: Pack includes 110 sheets of 8.5″x11″ 126gsm thick sublimation paper, providing plenty of material for various projects.
- Less consumption of ink
- Thick paper
- May result in less vivid colors
Hemudu Tale sublimation paper is perfect for Sawgrass printers, providing high-quality, consistent prints. Its 126 GSM thickness ensures wrinkle-free output, while its budget-friendly pricing and low ink consumption make it suitable for various applications.
6. Printers Jack Sublimation Paper: Best for Heat Transfer
The Printers Jack sublimation paper is the top choice for heat transfer projects, thanks to its exceptional features that ensure perfect accuracy and high color transfer. The color transfer accuracy was remarkable when tested on mugs, which impressed us. Moreover, its versatility goes beyond mugs, as it can be used on various surfaces, delivering vivid and bright prints that closely resemble the original image.
What sets Printers Jack sublimation paper apart is its ability to provide consistent, high-quality results across different applications. This makes it ideal for individuals and businesses requiring professional-grade prints for heat transfer projects.
Furthermore, the paper’s advanced design ensures that colors are transferred accurately without surface discrimination, resulting in stunning print outputs.
- High quality: Over 98% ultra-high transfer rate, reduced ink consumption, and immediate drying for beautiful, long-lasting colors without fading or cracking.
- Wide application for greater convenience.
- Works with dye sublimation ink and any inkjet printer.
- Easy to use: Print images with an inkjet printer and sublimation ink, select the “Mirror Printing” setting, adjust temperature and time, and press the printed image onto your chosen item.
- Fast dry rate
- Wider applicability
- Easy to use
- Might result in faded image
Printers Jack is undoubtedly the one to choose from if you’re looking for the best sublimation paper for heat transfer purposes, offering impressive color transfer, versatility, and exceptional print quality.
Check out our top picks for sublimation printers for heat transfer to choose the right option.
7. Texprint Sublimation Paper: Best for Ricoh Printers
The Textprint sublimation paper is one of the finest in its excellent transfer rate, paper size, and smooth performance with Ricoh Printers. I have been using the paper for a long time, and I admire its superior print transfer without getting jammed or any other problem.
The paper size is also in the highest range among other papers on the list. Along with the paper size and smooth performance, the Textprint sublimation paper has broader applicability. It can be used with various substrates, from fabric to ceramics and anything in between. The paper is also available for mug size, and with the features mentioned earlier, it is worthy of a spot in our list of best mug sublimation papers.
Furthermore, the final output of the paper is also worth mentioning. During our tests, the prints came out bright, clear on paper, and even more beautiful when transferred on mugs. The prints on the mugs showed no sign of smearing or cracking and turned out more durable than expected.
- 110 sheets included: Pack contains TexPrint-R Sublimation Heavy Paper designed specifically for Ricoh printers, without the retail packaging.
- Versatile applications: Ideal for various sublimation products.
- Special coating: TexPrint Dt, heavy transfer paper, features a unique coating, enabling compatibility with sublimation inks for bright, colorful, and high-quality transfers.
- Bonus item: Package includes 1x roll of INNOSUB thermal tape, heat-resistant and suitable for all sublimation applications.
- Optimal results: Use the right paper and ink to achieve quality transfers.
- Excellent quality transfer
- Wider applicability
- Bright colors and clear text
- Compatible with Ricoh printers only
The Textprint sublimation paper stands out for its exceptional transfer rate, compatibility with Ricoh Printers, and versatile applicability. It offers superior print transfer and durability and is suitable for various substrates for high-quality prints.
When choosing the best sublimation paper for mugs, several factors must be considered to ensure high-quality and long-lasting prints.
Quality comes with the transfer rate, so it’s the first thing you should look for when buying sublimation paper. The higher the transfer rate, the more excellent quality. Unfortunately, no brand offers a 100% transfer rate, so the best you can expect is 98%. Furthermore, 95 to 97% are viable options, and nothing less should be tolerated.
The next feature to consider after the transfer rate is the paper thickness. The paper’s thickness decides how the paper will perform under higher temperatures. The standard for sublimation paper is 123 grams which is fine as it effectively tolerates stress under high temperatures. However, thicker paper can also jam your printer, so you must look for that too.
The dryness rate is also a vital feature when choosing a sublimation paper. The paper worth considering should be the one that dries fast and quickly. The products included in our list have a fast drying rate, so you can relax while choosing any of them.
While looking for sublimation paper, you should be aware of the size that your printer supports. You should also know if the paper you buy is enough to roll on the apparel you will imprint.
Some sublimation papers are designed explicitly for mugs, while others have broader applicability. If you plan to print on various substrates, consider a versatile sublimation paper that works well on multiple surfaces.
Investing in the right sublimation paper is crucial to achieving stunning, long-lasting prints on your mugs. There’s a sublimation paper tailored to suit every need and printer type in the market.
We’ve identified seven standout options in our search for the best sublimation papers for mugs, each catering to specific printer types and requirements. The A Sub-Sublimation Paper takes the top spot as the Editor’s Choice, while Mecolour and Hiipo Sublimation Papers stand out as top performers for Epson printers.
For those with a Sawgrass printer, Hemudu Tale is your go-to option, and if you own a Ricoh printer, Texprint is your best bet. Seogol and Printers Jack is exceptional for dark surfaces and heat transfer applications.
With the knowledge and resources we’ve provided, you’re now equipped to make an informed decision and elevate your mug creations to new heights.
Refer to our step-by-step guide on How to Sublimate Mugs to effectively carry out sublimation with your selected paper.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What products can I sublimate on?
You can sublimate on countless products, ranging from fabric-based surfaces like T-Shirts to glass and metal surface accessories like clipboards, hardboards, and so on.
What paper weight is best for sublimation?
Anywhere from 90 to 120 g is suitable and works fine. You must remember that lightweight sublimation paper is more susceptible to humidity and can’t tolerate stress under high temperatures.
Can I wash sublimation mugs?
Sublimation mugs are microwave and dishwasher-safe so they can be washed as water won’t affect the prints on mugs. However, rigorous rugging can scrap off your print designs.
How is sublimation paper different from ordinary paper?
Sublimation paper differs from ordinary paper because it is polyester coated from the front side and used for imprinting prints that can be transferred effectively under heat and pressure. The coating holds ink and transfers it under particular heat and pressure.